Sunday, May 10, 2009

Thoughts on Food

I'm currently reading A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenburg. Before that, I read The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule. Both of these books have me thinking about the food I eat and offer to my family and the time and energy involved in making a meal. I grew up in a family that honored mealtimes. We sat at the table together, discussed the day, and ate. Good nutrition was emphasized. If we, as kids, wanted a treat, we had to eat the healthy stuff first. My parents (and more specifically, my mom) did a great job of instilling these values in me. I feel strongly about these ideals and wish the same for my family.

But these two books have me thinking further. The idea of cooking from scratch, eating wholesome, minimally processed food, not to mention trying to eat locally, are all on my mind. The task at hand is daunting, but also quite appealing. I'm aware that good food (and the ways we gather it, prepare it, and share it) can become more central to our family's moments and memories, not to mention providing lifelong lessons and habits. Interesting, indeed . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment