Thursday, January 27, 2011

Something I've Been Thinking About . . .

Recently, I came across some words, which are now hanging in our newly renovated office, next to my cozy new chair, where I can sit and think and wonder. They are here to remind me of what's important.

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

It's from a poem called "Summer Day" by Mary Oliver, and it speaks to me. This could be the theme for my life, really. It is a constant question, one that soothes me and one that causes me to struggle. I am grateful to have it mostly answered, to feel grounded in what I am doing right now. So far, despite some bumps and bruises along the way, I wouldn't have chosen a different path. For me, the struggle comes when I think about what comes next, knowing that one day, far sooner than I would like, my life will change. Part of me knows that things will fall into place, life will sort itself out, and I will be ready. The other part of me worries, sometimes, that I won't be able to manage it all, that I won't be able to answer this oh-so-important question quite so easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment